At this festive time, a little lemon can help cut through all the rich food of the season. I added ricotta to ensure that it wasn’t too virtuous. It is the season, after all. This cake is dense, with a texture quite similar to ricotta. It keeps well.
- 175g softened butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 lemons (ideally unwaxed)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 250g ricotta
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Heat the oven to 180C (fan 160C)
- Butter and flour a 20cm spring-form cake tin.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the lemon zest, yolks and ricotta. Add the juice of 2-3 lemons, to taste.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, then fold into the ricotta mixture.
- Spoon into the tin. Bake for 20-50 minutes until risen, firm and golden. Cool for an hour in the tin.