More cupcakes today! I’m dreading going back to work and not being able to spend hours decorating foodstuffs. Popcorn and white chocolate is my favourite Shakeaway and a winning combination if you have a sweet tooth. And I just can’t resist cakes that look like other things. I bought the stripy baking cups on eBay. This recipe makes 12 normal-sized cupcakes.
…for the cupcakes
- 125g butter, chopped
- 100g white chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 self-raising flour
- 1tsp vanilla extract
…for the decoration
- 1 large bag toffee popcorn
- 200g white chocolate
- 1/2 cup double cream
- If you want a little more popcorn flavour to the cupcakes, infuse your milk with a handful of popcorn overnight. Then either blend or strain it before adding to the cake mix.
- Line a cupcake pan with paper liners. If you are using the striped baking cups, you can bake straight into them. But they’ll look a bit better if you put them into the cups afterwards.
- Add the chocolate, butter, milk and sugar to a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat until the chocolate melts and the mixture becomes smooth.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Stir or whisk in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- Sift the flour into the mixture, then stir until just combined.
- Divide among the liners and bake for 20-30 minutes, until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Once the cakes are cool, make the ganache. Heat the cream and chocolate over a bain marie (or a saucepan will do in a pinch) and stir until smooth. I added a couple of tablespoons of dulce de leche as well.
- Spread over the cakes.
- Either carefully place or pile on the popcorn topping. If you want a taller pile, glue the pieces down with some ganache to stop them going everywhere.